A common expression is that one man’s trash is another man’s treasure. It is safe to say that the opposite is true as well. Have you seen when someone leaves a home and leaves many of their belongings in it? Or how about going to a tag sale and seeing all the knickknacks which are on sale for a buck? We should turn that expression around and say “One man’s treasure is many people’s trash.”
Unless you are very disciplined, you most likely have a lot of stuff in your home that you do not use. The longer you have been there the worse it has no doubt gotten.
Decluttering your home will make it more enjoyable. When you go on vacation one of the nicest elements is the lack of clutter in a nice, spacious hotel.
Decluttering will save you money. You can sell valuable things on ebay or amazon and you can just throw away a lot of stuff. This will save you money because the more you throw away, the more thoughtful you are before you buy new things.
Decluttering will help you stay more organized. By only keeping things you really need and keeping things picked up and put away, your life will be simpler and more organized.
Decluttering will make it easier to sell your home or move. The less you have the more show-ready your home is if you decide to put it on the market. Everyone knows the more cluttered a house is the less desirable it is to potential buyers. By keeping it decluttered, you can be ready to move without months of cleaning.
Tips for Decluttering your Home
- If you have not used something for more than a year, either put it up for sale or throw it away.
- Keep a minimal amount of holiday / seasonal items for decorating. Only keep what you enjoy the most. This stuff has a habit of building up.
- Take care of papers, mail and deliveries right away. Do not let stacks grow. Whenever possible, store documents electronically and dispose of papers quickly.
- Know where your local recycling center is and have older documents you no longer need shredded. This is often free if you know where to go.
- Don’t assign emotions to items. Unless something truly gives you joy see it for the item it is and get rid of it if you do not need it.
- Don’t keep clothes you do not wear. Donating them can give you a tax break while helping someone out.
This is a big start to living a fresher, cleaner and more clutter-free life. Enjoy the empty space.