For many people, eating bread is not an option. For people who suffer from Celiac disease, eating barley, wheat or rye is out of the question. For many of us, bread is an easy way to have a sandwich at lunch or dinner with a cup of soup, and call it a day.
Bread has been a staple in many cultures for thousands of years. From the Greeks, Europeans, and Egyptians, the consumption of bread has been a tasty way to enjoy a meal, and feel satisfied. Breads from different parts of the world have been adopted by different cultures because of the deliciousness and joy they bring to the table.
So, do you know how many types of bread there are? According to many sites, there are more than 20 types of bread, and the choice of your preferred one is a very personal matter. There are Baguettes, bagels, Naan, Brioche, Ciabatta, wheat, rye, pita, multigrain, etc, etc, etc. There is at least one that is sure to be a favorite in your life.
Unfortunately, for many of us, bread should be avoided most of the time. Weight loss is not easy, and consuming bread is not going to help anyone achieve their goals. Breads, pasta, cereals, or starchy vegetables are delicious and filling. But, they won’t
If you want to enjoy a sandwich without having bread, here are 5 great options for you:
- Plantain – Use a plantain that is not ripe all the way. Cut the ends, and through the middle to make it the size you want it. Bake it or fry it to flatten, and to achieve the desired consistency for a sandwich.
- Nori – They are the perfect substitute for bread. You can moist the middle to fold, once or twice, and achieve the desired shape for a sandwich. You can use the nori sheet to have a carb-free burrito as well. It holds perfectly, and it can hold all the yummy ingredients of a sandwich or vegetarian burrito.
- Sweet Potatoes-This is another perfect option to substitute the bread in a sandwich, and a tasty option as well. Cutting the sweet potato lengthwise will give you the desired size to make a beautiful sandwich. You can put them in the microwave to cook for a few minutes, take them out and bake them for a few more minutes to make them hardy enough for whatever items you want to put in a sandwich. You can add salt, and honey to make the sweet potato sweet when you put them in the oven. You can choose to have the skin on or off depending on the family’s preference.
- Romaine Lettuce Leaves-They are another perfect substitute to make a beautiful sandwich without having the bread. They are the easiest to work with, and you only need to wash them thoroughly before you can use them. You can salt them lightly to give them a bit of taste, but it is not necessary.
- Napa-Napa is another great substitute for bread. The boat shape and size of the Napa leaves are a great way to fill them with meat, rice, or fish, or use them as a bread substitute. Their crunchiness makes them an ideal substitute, and as with the romaine lettuce leaves you need to do very little with them. Wash them, dry them and salt them lightly before you use them. It takes less than 5 minutes to prepare a sandwich using Napa leaves.
Substituting bread in people’s lives is not easy. In the beginning, it might seem strange and a bit messy, but periodically, you will come to enjoy the “bread” you are using. For weight loss, and to offer a different take on sandwiches, these options are a great start.