There are some home projects many homeowners can do by themselves. Replacing flooring, changing light fixtures, or painting a room in the house are all home projects many of us can do. And even though replacing flooring in a room is not necessarily easy, it is a project most homeowners can do by themselves.
How about Kitchen renovations? Can homeowners do them themselves?
Kitchen renovations involve many, many difficult steps that many homeowners are not able to do by themselves. It is possible to do a kitchen renovation if you have the time to do things slowly and well. Also, it is possible to do the kitchen project yourself if you are willing to hire some help when you need it. Not everyone is willing or able to do this project. But if you are adventurous, have the time, have an abundance of patience, and want to save money, here are some tips for you to consider before you begin.
- By ordering the cabinets online yourself(even if you need the company’s designers) you will be saving money by not paying the high prices of a contractor or home improvement store. Use the company’s designers if you can. A mistake in the order will be their responsibility, and you won’t have to pay shipping fees to return something back to them.
- You can pay to have the cabinets put together, but they are easy and straightforward to do on your own. There is no cutting involved unless you order a pantry bigger than the kitchen’s ceiling. For example, we had to cut the bottom of our pantry to be able to lift it and set it upright. Make sure you keep in mind the room needed to straighten it and put right.
- Don’t buy the cabinets fixtures in the home improvement stores in your area. There are small companies selling flooring, kitchen cabinets, and everything you need for your kitchen at a fraction of the cost you will be paying at these big home improvement stores.
- If you are redoing the kitchen’s ceiling, hire a contractor. If you are unsure about doing the plumbing on your own, we strongly recommend hiring a plumber to do it for you. Water damage can cost you thousands of dollars to fix if you do something wrong with the kitchen’s plumbing. Handymen have the tools, and experience to do a job well done in a short period of time. You will be saving time and money if you hire one to do the job.
- You can do the kitchen’s backsplash on your own. If you and your partner do it together, it is much easier and faster than doing it alone. Don’t buy a cheap tile cutter, they don’t work well and you will be using a lot of tiles “learning” how to cut them.
- You can also replace the kitchen’s flooring on your own. If you are unsure about what kind of flooring you want, you can visit your home improvement store and look at their selection. Not sure how to install flooring? No problem, there are countless videos on YouTube where they can guide you step by step.
- You will save money by having a plan and a target time to finish. Make sure you order things in the right order. Don’t wait to order the sink late. If you are buying a granite, marble, or stone countertop, the seller will need the sink to cut the right proportions on the stone.
- Replace your old dishwasher with a new energy-efficient one. They are worth the money. You will be saving on the energy and water consumption the new dishwashers use to do the job.
Many homeowners do not wish to remodel a kitchen on their own. It is hard work, it is a long process, messy, and can become expensive if you need to redo things. But, it can be very satisfying if you do it and you can do it at a fraction of the cost of a contractor. For all of you adventurous people that will try to do kitchen remodeling on your own, hire help when you are unsure how to do something yourself. It will save you time and money.