Carbon Monoxide – The silent killer
During the winter months, doors and windows remain closed at all times and the chance of fresh air circling in your home in great quantities is null. Not only is fresh air a problem during the winter months, but the furnace in constant use makes Carbon Monoxide gas in your home a bit more likely.
A very inexpensive carbon monoxide detector can cost you less than $10 dollars at your local Target, Walmart, Lowe’s or Home Depot store. You can purchase a battery operated detector or an electric one, but either choice is an inexpensive safety choice that can be a lifesaver for you.
The National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) recommends testing your smoke detectors monthly to make sure they are working properly. They also recommend changing the batteries in your smoke detectors yearly. Keeping a regular schedule-say every October, or every thanksgiving-to change the batteries in the smoke detectors of your home should make it an easy thing to do every year.
Every ten years, the National Fire Protection Agency recommends changing the smoke detectors in your home. Every floor in your home should have a smoke detector, including the basement and the attic. The smoke detectors should be installed in the hallways, and outside and inside the bedrooms. Make sure to place a smoke detector close to the kitchen as well. For more information about fire prevention, check your local Fire department website.
According to National Council Safety’s website, unintentional poisoning is one of the leading causes of deaths in the adult population in the United States. Gases, households chemicals, lead poisoning and button batteries are some of the dangers lurking in your home that can be fatal for your young kids. Have you childproofed your home lately? Household cleaning products pose a risk to small children if they are not kept safely away from them. Some of the products that experts recommend you check are laundry packets, paints, drain and toilet cleaners, and all cleaners you use in and around the home and keep in the house or garage.
Medicine kept in the bathroom cabinets are easily available to your child and can be abused. A Scholastic study found that children self-medicate as early as 11 years old. And according to the study, more than 10,000 minors are admitted into hospitals for overdosing on over the counter medications. Keeping an eye on what you have and making sure you talk to your kids about the dangers of self-medicating can go a long way in preventing an overdose.
Keep your family safe by being proactive.