Self driving cars are coming, and they are very welcome. Not only will they change ownership and how we get around, they will also change and/or eliminate industries. While some people will resist giving up control to a car that drives itself, the advantages will make it a necessity.
- Health Care – Over 18 Billion is spent on medical costs related to accidents each year, with over 1 million Americans hurt in an accident, according to the CDC in 2014. While there will always be some accidents, this number will go down drastically. Drinking and driving will also be eliminated, reducing that very dangerous activity which not only puts the drinker at risk, but everyone on the road.
- Insurance – Insurance will go down drastically and ownership of cars will be rare, reducing the need for this industry to a small fraction of what it currently is.
- Police – With the reduction of traffic violations and accidents will also come the reduction in need for police.
- Crime – With cars recording who is in them and where they pick people up and drop people off, it will be much more difficult to commit a crime, such as a robbery.
- Fuel – Systems that manage themselves will be able to keep themselves fueled very efficiently and gas stations will become a thing of the past as they will not need to be visible.
- Car Care – With decreased ownership and more standardization, as well as more electric cars, the many car care facilities will become a thing of the past.
- Work – Instead of starting work when you get to the office, you will start work on the way. You will be able to arrive and have a lot of thing already done by not needing to drive yourself and because you will get their quicker as self driving cars will travel at the optimum speed and the least congested route to get you to where you are going.
All of these things can seem scary because that is a lot of wealth and a lot of businesses that could become obsolete soon. It is also a lot of savings and a lot of health and life benefits for people. We have to decide which we will prioritize.